EN_US
<< May 2020 >>

 
 
 
 
1
2
3

4
5
6
8
9
10

11
12
13
14
15
17

18
19
20
21
22
23
24

25
26
27
28
29
30
31

Recent Entries:

16/05/20 ( 17:58:59 )
Animation - JAVA

07/05/20 ( 14:49:18 )
Blog update and - JAVA

11/01/20 ( 02:06:48 )
Happy New Year!

07/05/20 ( 14:49:18 ) - Blog update and - JAVA #coding

I added some things and changed some things about the blog... It looks less empty now, especially if I did not post in a while, it shows the last entries on the left side. Who knows when I can show something again, and until then people can still see the latest updates in case they missed it :P

Speaking of which, I decided to give up on Unreal Engine. The GUI restrictions really killed my motivation and I ground to a standstill every time I tried to fix it.

And in the meantime I remembered that Java showed some promising results when I was fiddling around with it. Basically all my former problems have been solved in the meantime, I created proof of concepts for all the former issues. Image scaling, rotating, transparency and collision detection.

So the only thing that I see breaking this motivation is the backbone implementation of:

1) Visual Effects - smooth transitions that change positioning, alpha levels based on possible FPS - but I am confident that I can emulate this by actually using the Engine that Gaby put in place which did not rely on stable FPS but accounted for lower framerates and by mathematical design even faster framerates :D

2) Actors - now Objects - receiving tick rate updates as often as possible. This is just a matter of hooking up all Objects, on Creation, to a tick manager which should not be a problem. As we are talking about trivial calculations mostly, todays CPUs should handle even clumsy implementations like mine with no problems.

So all in all I am very convinced that it paid off that Gaby created a sturdy Engine system, using great coding standards that were voluntary in AS2, and are required in most current languages, most of which help me big time coding this to Java.

The progress so far is that 25% of lines are ported. It actually is possible to take many lines as they are, which is why I am literally copying the existing classes and creating new ones where needed. Oh boy, ActionScript really was happy with you creating Objects and assigning values to them that then you could just shove over other defined objects, overriding the values no matter what they are... this does not work like this in most of current languages...

But I will get this done. I am hopeful that I can create a working game demo this month, but it depends on the next weeks. As many people complain that they have so much time when they have to stay at home, for me work continues as if nothing had changed, I just work from home.

Anyway... Have a good one and stay healthy.

Yours Chris / SLiPCoR